The Book Tag.

I have a little backlog of reviews I want to write: The Curate in a Populus Parish by Anthony Trollope, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, three artists from Vasari's Lives of the Artists, the fifteenth instalment of The Pickwick Papers, and The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks, but I have to admit defeat for this week: I am absolutely strung out on the election. I cannot even get into it. So I've decided instead to do this meme and pick up where I left off book-wise next week as I'm absolutely not in the book-reviewing frame of mind. This is not fun, I'm very stressed, but hopefully this lovely meme from Jean's will take my mind of it for a little while.

1. What book has been on your shelf the longest?


My mum used to read me this when I was very little
(as well as other Beatrix Potters of course) and this was my favourite.

2. What is your current read, your last read, and the book you’ll read next?


Current read: The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith. Only read first chapter but am enjoying it.
Last read: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.
Next read: Most likely A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

3. What book did everyone like, but you hated?


Ariel by Sylvia Plath.

4. What book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?


The Second World War by Winston Churchill. It always seem to evade my radar. One day maybe - I hate to say I'll never read a book.

5. What book are you saving for retirement?


I don't know about retirement, but I think it'll be a while before I get to Plutarch's Lives.

6. Last page: read it first, or wait ’til the end?


The end! My goodness! What absolute savage reads reads the last page first?! 

7. Acknowledgement: waste of paper and ink, or interesting aside?

Virginia Woolf's dedication of Night and Day to her sister Vanessa Bell.
Acknowledgements can be very interesting to see who the writer identifies with and respects, which is especially useful for non fiction. Dedications, though, are the most fascinating.

8. Which book character would you switch places with?


Today I am thinking Badger from The Wind in the Willows
Badger is my spirit animal at the best of times.

9. Do you have a book that reminds you of something 
specific in your life? (Place, time, person?)


Felix Holt, the Radical by George Eliot reminds me of the last General Election (2015). I tried to read it then but got so fed up with politics I jacked it in. 
Eventually read it earlier this year and didn't enjoy it much.

10. Name a book that you acquired in an interesting way.


This isn't wildly interesting but a while ago Tom of Wuthering Expectations recommended Romantic Fairy Tales and, somehow, I got confused and had Victorian Fairy Tales in my mind. Bought it and, so far, love it. But I will try and get Romantic Fairy Tales very soon.

11. Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?

This no doubt makes me sound awful, but no, I haven't! My boyfriend and mother have a full and unreserved access to my books, though. 

12. Which book has been with you most places?

My copy of Clarissa.
Clarissa by Samuel Richardson has been in countless places in the north of England - when 
I first read it I took it out in the car and read bits whenever I got the opportunity. 
I can easily count seven places it's been.

13. Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad two years later?


Hamlet by Shakespeare.

14. Used or brand new?

Used. They're cheaper, can buy more of 'em.

15. Have you ever read a Dan Brown book?

Yes, The Da Vinci Code. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

16. Have you ever seen a movie you liked more than the book?


I think I preferred the film The Virgin Suicides directed by Sofia Coppola over Jeffrey Eugenides' novel but I really did love the novel. It was a close call.

17. Have you ever read a book that’s made you hungry, cookbooks included?


Ulysses made me want a gorgonzola sandwich.

18. Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?

There's a lot of bloggers whose advice I take. To name a few: Cleo, Jean, Tom, Jillian, Adam, Ruth, and Fanda, but I will always check out books after reading an interesting blog review.

19. Is there a book out of your comfort zone (e.g., outside your usual reading genre)
that you ended up loving? 


I love H.G. Wells despite having somewhat of an aversion to sci-fi. 
Favourite Wells: The Time Machine.

Comments

  1. Frankly, I'd change places right now with any character of Wind in the Willows, even Toad -- anything to escape this place. (I love their little animal world.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it seems like a million years since I wrote this post after these past few days here, but I still say Badger - Badger's the chap. I want to be Badger right now :) I should go read this book. Have barely read anything bookish this week!

      Delete
    2. Totally understand. You need something light and pleasant and mystical to take you away. Wind in the Willows would do that. : )

      Delete
  2. Oh, I would trade places with Mole in a second. There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats....

    I read Churchill's History of the English-speaking Peoples at some point. Golly it was dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised it was dull - I thought Churchill might be funny. Even so that didn't tempt me :)

      Delete
    2. Well, it was a long time ago. Maybe I missed his humor. Or maybe it was dull. I'm not going to read it again to find out!

      Delete
    3. I don't blame you! I think probably half of the witticisms attributed to Churchill are false. One day, maybe, I'll start and read the first book, see how that goes... :)

      Delete
  3. Very Interesting!! I agree....only Savages read the end first!! Winston Churchill....I never even considered reading him but now you have me thinking! At any cost, it ain't happening in a long while!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! And yep, savages! I don't get why people do that. My cousin does, says she wants to know if the book's worth reading :s

      Delete
  4. Delighted to hear about your response to HG Wells, I've been nervous about tackling his books.

    I have wondered about the Churchill books too, but Jean's comment may have put me off now - perhaps a heavily abridged version is more realistic for me.

    I hope your elections go smoothly and with an outcome you can all live happily with. But we do live in interesting times....as they say. Time for a comfort read perhaps...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your "hope elections go smoothly" comment with a wry smile. No doubt you know they did not go smoothly, not by a long shot!

      Don't be nervous about Wells, he's great! :)

      Delete
  5. What a great meme and I love all your answers.

    I have the Churchill books too but after reading Thucydides, which is lulling me into a war-stupor, I can't imagine reading them for awhile.

    While being an animal appeals to me on one level, we just released some Painted Lady butterflies that we'd "hatched" and knowing that they only live for three weeks kind of put me off. ;-)

    I'll have to think about my answers and hopefully follow suit with a post .... if only I had more time ..... but we'll see ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thucydides had the same effect on me.

      Painted Ladies only live three weeks?! :(

      I'll look forward to your answers :)

      Delete
  6. Great list and lots of 'book thoughts' to enjoy.
    It's been a rough week in UK and hope the dust has settled a bit.
    At times like this a garden is the place to be....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rough doesn't even begin to cover it. They could not have brought more chaos if they'd bloody tried. I can't even. You'll see I just wrote a post about it. Decided, for the purpose of clarity, to leave out my irritation. What an utter and complete cock up it has been.

      The garden is the place to be. Hopefully, if the weather's better, I'll get out there tomorrow :)

      Delete
  7. This is a great post I might just have to steal it! Clarissa is becoming the book I've taken the most places but it's so heavy and big and I have small hands. I'm loving it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's size was an issue for me as well! I usually had to prop it up either with a cushion or, if I was out, a scarf or something :) Really happy you're loving it! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting up on Cold Mornings by James Henry Leigh Hunt.

20 Books of Summer.